Saturday, September 12, 2009

Cracked Toilet and Wet Ceiling

I need a cup of coffee.

I got up about 30 minutes ago, around 6am, to alarmed voices about a problem in the boys bathroom. I was worried we had an issue that would rival the infamous toys in the toilet incident, but it's not quite that bad. Unforunately the problem was upstairs and we've got some ceiling damage downstairs in the living room.

Here's a photo of the toilet:

It took me about 15 minutes to find the hairline crack running along the back of the tank. I spend my time initially checking all the seals and the hose running from the wall to the toilet. It never occured to me the ceramic tank was damaged, I didn't think three young boys could do that during the course of normal usage, but alas there it is. For now the water is off and the tank is drained.

So the real problem is downstairs, water accumulated in the floor all evening long and then damaged the ceiling below. Here are some photos of the damaged section of the ceiling.


The crack is just under a foot in length, but the damaged section is about 3-4 feet long.

I did a quick search and it looks like the toilet tank will cost around $60. I am most concerned about matching the toilet color. Shannon told me, it's
bisque. I'm color blind and I know how to work with plumning but the color is a bit beyond me. When I search for a 'toilet tank bisuqe' I get fancy looking 'Elizabethen' tanks which are twice as much. Maybe it will only be $60.

The real question is can I fix it before the Illinois Game.

The ceiling is a bigger concern. I've got the nearby ceiling fan on, hopefully helping dry it out. Perhaps it's not that wet despite the crack. It would be nice if it simply dried out in a day or two and then allowed for a quick patch. My wife has patched a popocorn ceiling. We'll have to wait and see.


======= UPDATE =========

I learned tanks and toilets do not match and are not universal. The recommendation is to replace the entire toilet. That's what I'll be doing this afternoon. The budget went from about $60 for a tank to $250 for a toilet. I've got the toilet, I just need to lug it up the stairs and get to work.

======== UPDATE =========-

The hose running pipe to the fill valve in the tank is about 2 inches too short. Otherwise, I am pretty much there. I'm going to have to run out and get a replacement. However at the moment, I am solo dad with my two younger boys, and my eldest may call for a ride any momement. My brother graciously offered to help, perhaps I'll give him a call.

======== UPDATE =========

It's finished. It works. My wife will call the insurance company about the ceiling, but my part is done, at least for now. Where did my Saturday go?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll bet you could patch that tank with some JB weld.

Ernie Noa said...

I would consider it, but it's a 25 year old toilet, the crack is fairly large and most important, it's on the second floor, I don't want to risk severe damage to the floor/ceiling. If it were on the first floor, I'd be more tempted to experiment, but thank you for the suggestion.

Terry Thorsen said...

Isn't bisque a soup? Probably the last thing I'd want to associate with my toilet. Let's just call it beige.

Bibi Karpel said...

You’re quite a handyman to handle the situation well and gave it an immediate solution. It’s been a while since this incident happened. I hope everything went well. But I doubt if you can encounter this again because you already fix the problem and matched the tanks and the toilets.
{Bibi Karpel}