Friday, July 20, 2012

Miscues and Misperception


I went grocery shopping with my two youngest sons.  They were mostly well behaved, but I did need to keep them focused and moving.   They were oblivious to the fact they were blocking an entire aisle, so I sternly said, “Single file please, heads up, there are people trying to get through.”   Ahead of us a mom and her teenage daughter quickly complied, nervously jumping into single file formation.  I was so preoccupied with my kids that I walked three of four paces past them before I realized they thought I was lecturing them.  I was incredibly embarrassed and apologized profusely to the woman and her daughter.  As we walked away my middle son accused me of ‘liking’ the lady who thought I was yelling at her and he also told me “Mom will be mad at you.”   That’s a whole lot o’ miscues and misperception crammed into about 30 seconds.

No comments: