Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Maytag Refrigerator Problems

We had our Maytag refrigerator compressor replaced due to a recall. The 'fix' was free but now the fridge has stopped working. We're working with Maytag to get it fixed. My wife has done quite a bit of research and it looks like this recall 'fix' is causing a lot of trouble and some folks are even looking at a class action law suit against Maytag.

We are waiting for a replacement part and hope to have it all fixed by the end of the week. This really sucks.

Here are some blog posts my wife found:

Chip of Spring, TX May 3, 2009





These refrigerators are junk. Defrost controls go out every few months. Relays burn out and sometimes cause fires. There are so many common failures with this model refrigerator. Maytag issued a recall but they usually find a way to get around standing behind their products.



Sherry of Marietta, GA April 26, 2009





I received a letter regarding the Maytag recall in early to mid April. I called on Friday April, 24th the scheduled an appointment so that the defected part could be replaced. The appointment was set for Saturday April, 25th between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm. The repair guy from A&E arrived at approximately 11:00 am. He replaced the “defected� compressor.



The repair was completed in about 15 -20 minutes. My family and I left the house at about 2:00 pm for my son’s baseball game. After the game went grocery shopping at Kroger. We arrived home at about 6:15 to find water and Popsicle juice coming from the freezer. The entire unit had stopped working. I called A&E first and they told me I would have to call Maytag.



Frank, a customer service manager with Maytag was very incompetent; they offered only $100 dollars and the comment that it was very unfortunate and said I would have to wait until Tuesday before someone could come repair the unit. I was also very offended by several comments he made suggesting I was wanting "the farm" from Maytag. I only want and wanted my unit working again.I called A&E again and received an apology from the sales representative and a phone number to help with my food loss.



Leah of Alabaster, AL April 24, 2009





Called Maytag after receiving a Recall Letter regarding "Certain side-by-side and top freezer refrigerators pose serious fire hazard." I purchased this fridge (MSD2454GRW) in 2002 from Best Buy and have had no problems! I called to schedule repair of this recalled "relay" because I thought it was the right thing to do and the letter scared me a bit. Maytag scheduled repair with A&E Factory Service for Thursday, April 23, 2009. No problems there. The A&E guy comes out replaces the part and is gone in under ten (10) minutes.



Friday, April 24, 2009 at 7:00 am I go into my kitchen to find water all over my floor. When I opened the freezer side, I find water dripping all down the shelves, meat thawed, popsicles melted, etc. I called A&E and they tell me "uh-oh" you have to call Maytag. I called Maytag...on hold for 15-20 mins...the customer service rep. acted nonchalant and put me on hold again so she could call a local repair company. She told me someone from S&S Applaince Repair would call me later this afternoon to arrange repair for this evening.



Fortunately, S&S called me right away and said they had some one in my area and he would be at my house in 30 minutes. This repair man came as said. He is working on the fridge as I type. we will have to wait and see if this takes care of it. Meanwhile, I must start making a grocery list to try and replace all the food that has spoiled! I will be making an offical request that Maytag reimburse the cost of food and lost time. If they do not there will be an oficial complaint to Maytag and the Better Business Bureau and whomever else I can complain to!



Mike of Brighton, MI April 18, 2009



Had my frig fixed b/c of the recall. By the way..best way to do this is online (not on the phone) - I saw other folks complaining about not being able to reach them. The frig no longer works after the repair - I have to wait 4 days for them to come back.



Maytag said that they will not pay for the food that spoiled even though they broke the frig. The lady on the phone said it isn't in their policy. Best part is, I call back several times and different customer service reps told me this is happening to a good amount of the repairs. I will never by MAYTAG again.



Tim of Doylestown, PA March 16, 2009



I too had my Maytag fridge repaired with a 'replacement' relay a week ago and low and behold - my fridge stopped working yesterday. Now I am SOL about the food and such and I am just hoping that the part was faulty. What a CROCK.

Spoiled food.

David of Boerne, TX March 31, 2009



My refrigerator was affected by the 2009 recall. The first time we contact Maytag, no one showed up to our appointment. The second time, we got a repairmen the next day but after replacing the relay switch on a Saturday, the entire unit stopped working.

We didn't realize that our entire unit wasn't working until Sunday morning when water was leaking out our water dispenser because of all the melted ice. I had a puddle on my floor and it wasn't relenting. I called Maytag and they said sorry but I had to call back on Monday to schedule service. I said this was unacceptable as I had a mess on my hands, $200 + in food that was going bad. All I got was an I'm sorry but you'll have to call back. Maytag CAN DO better!!!

Stanley & Isola Smith of Hoffman, MN March 25, 2009



Bought a Maytag side by side in 2001 with an extended warranty. April 24 2006 noticed freezer and refrigerator not cooling. Called Maytag to schedule service, the earliest service call would be 3 days later. In the meantime lost all food. Defrost cycle not functioning Noticed front panel under ice/water dispenser rust. Not reported, but a source of irritation! March 12 2009 noticed a recall announcement in the newspaper for Maytag refrigerators. Called and found out was affected. A service was scheduled for March 13 2009jand an overload relay was replaced. March 14 2009 (Saturday) noticed freezer not cooling and lost all food. Earliest service afternoon March 17 2009. Needless to say am disappointed with service. The MAYTAG REPAIRMAN is extinct!

Lost food in the freezer twice and have a crappy rusting front panel.

Sue of Cleveland, OH March 16, 2009

MAytags recall, First they send a Service tech to my home from A & E factory service, Which is SEARS. The man was in and out of my home in 5 minutes. That was 3/12/09 at 4.00 p.m..At 6:00 P.M. The Refrigerator was not working, for the next hour I was calling everyone from Maytag and A & E about this. I was told it would take 3 to 4 hours before it would reset itself. I told the man on the phone I never heard of such a thing. But also stated to this man I have over $400.00 worth of food in this and it is in a meltdown.

Come morning on the 13th there was water all over the hardwood floor and everything inside the Refrigerator was melted ice and water everywhere and wwas very hot inside the refrig part. I phoned again and was told it would be till the 14th before someone would be able to come out. From one person to Supervisors. Also they would have a food bill on the truck for me to fill out, and I still had to wait.

The man comes on the 14th in the afternoon about 1:00P.M. and had no such billing for the food but did see all the waste. He fixes the part again and stated and wrote on the receipt that the first recall part put on was not put on the right way. So the Refrigerator was not working and only the fans were on. Now I phone to Maytag this morning and A &E about the food lose again and was told I would get 100.00 and they would have to look into it. I was on the phone for over 1 hour again today and still these people have not got a clue on what to do.

(MAYTAG)sent out INCOMPETENT people from A & E Factory service and messed the job up. Now Im out of 400.00 worth of food. and These people are out to lunch.
The flooring is all wet.

Wendy of Mastic Beach, NY March 16, 2009



o Margo said

April 30, 2009 at 2:13 am

Same thing happened to me!! I called & got an automated service that sent an A&E serviceman the next day Friday 4/24. He was suppose to call before arriving but he did not. He did the work but left no paperwork. I had no proof of him being ther or doing anything. Sat morning my freesor had defrosted and frige was warm leaving large puddle. Called Maytag they gave me A&E servicman # and said I had to call. Next available day for sevice was Monday! Monday afternoon A&E serviceman arrives again without calling. I meet him at home and he says part was installed wrong which caused my compressor to go bad. He will order me a new compressor and install on Friday. I call A&E and ask for claim for reimbursement of food. It is not their policy to reimburse for food loss. I was told Customer Relations will get back to me. Compressor arrives 4/29 I call A&E @ 5:15pm to schedule appt. I am told next available is Friday or Sat. I’m not STUPID. I refuse a Friday or Sat appt and demand next day service. I get nowhere! Meanwhile A&E Customer Relations has never called me. I believe they are ficticious! I call Maytag and plead to give me another company that will install on Thursday 4/30 and I’m told only A&E can finish the job. IF I fax an itemized food loss Maytag will review it HAHA.! I am using a cooler to keep a few perishables and I have to take vacation time every time they come for service. I am SCREWED! I don’t know where to turn for help.

Reply













I have a recalled maytag, the repairman came out replaced overload circut and left.... 5 hours later fridge is broken and lost all our food, rescheduled for next week for service maytag sux will buy new foreign made appliance next week





Diane of Charleston, WV March 15, 2009

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I googled Maytag recall and found your blog. This recall turned into a nightmare. We had the part replaced immediately for fear of fire. Fridge stopped working next day. Replaced again and now 5 months and fridge is dead again. Compressor won't even kick on. My husband is just going to replace the part himself. I wish I would have never responded to the recall. My fridge worked fine for years until the "new part" was installed. Well, I'm off to look for a mini fridge to get us by until we fix it AGAIN! The girls need milk.

Ernie Noa said...

Yup. Been there.

Done that.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. My wife suggesting going through Maytag. She had better luck that way. The number she had on file is 866 949 0676. If you don't get the answer you want keep calling back until you get the answer you like. (that's what my wife did)

Anonymous said...

My wife also found this:
http://www.servicematters.com/maytag_refrigeration_recall/Combined_Letter_and_RevB_Instructions.pdf

It's a recall guide Maytag gave to their install folks. It's got bad instructions. They fixed it, but not after the bad instructions went out. Some companies continued to use the bad instructions for a while too.

Ken from Minnesota said...

I have a Maytag MFD2560HEQ model refrigerator purchased in July 2005, 4 years and 3 months ago. Recently it began buzzing and not cooling. It would buzz loudly for twelve seconds and then click off. A few minutes later it would do the same and the temperature in the refrigerator and freezer would slowly elevate over time. After reading on the subject I discovered that this is a classic symptom of either a bad compressor or starter relay. I have an extended warranty on this refrigerator, because I picked up when purchasing it that most appliances (because of our governments pressure to be more energy efficient...and we haven\'t seen anything yet) particularly ones with compressors were building them too small and they were junk and prone to break-down. I was glad to have the extended warranty, which will run out in July 2010. I called the warranty company and they sent out (after a weekend) a tech who tried a couple of new relays on the unit and determined that it was the compressor. Yet he said his equipment necessary for changing the compressor was out of commission and that I should contact another tech covered by my warranty so they could get to the repair in a more timely manner. I did and they scheduled an appointment four days later (without a refrigerator for a week by that time). The new tech showed up when he said he would and proceeded to replace the bad compressor. I\'m told that Maytag had a warranty on the compressor for five years so it will be covered, but the extended warranty will have to pay for the labor (about 2 hours worth plus). I don\'t usually by extended warranties. Am I glad I did this time!!! We now have a new compressor in the fridge and it seems to be working well. We have had no other significant problems with this fridge (yet), BUT having a compressor last only 4+ years on a $1400 refrigerator is ridiculous. I\'d like to know how much energy is saved with such shoddy and light-weight engineering. People, beware of governmental regulations that on the surface seem to be energy efficient and yet in the long run cost you far, far more. We\'ve got a Wards freezer we bought in the 1970\'s and has been sitting in the heat and cold of a garage for 30+ years and hauled to four states and STILL works! We may save a few kilowatts of energy with the newer more energy efficient models but we\'re going to fill up the blasted landfills with appliances and empty our wallets. THANKS environmental extremists! The tech said that the compressors on this model (the original) are \"notorious\" for breaking down. He put in an alternate model which he said seems to be engineered better and had a much better track record. I hope it does

Ken from Minnesota said...

One thing that may be happening with all these folks who have a tech come out to repair their fridge have him do something in 10 minutes and leave only to have the fridge malfunctioning a day later is this: the defective compressor heats up while running and then locks up due to the heat. A normal compressor will still start after a short period of being off even if it's warm, a defective one won't when it's warm. Then the relay buzzes for 10 seconds or so and clicks off (or bursts into flames) trying to start the over-heated, defective, stuck compressor. The temporary remedy to prevent fire is to unplug the fridge, which is good and necessary advice. I would not let a buzzing fridge remain plugged in and go to bed . That could be a disaster. BUT when the compressor sits for hours unplugged, it cools finally to room temperature, and guess what, you can often start it then (when it's cool). The tech comes when you've had the fridge unplugged for days, slaps a new relay on it, starts it up and everything seems fine. He leaves, the fridge runs until it cools everything again, but by then the compressor is warmed up again and when it tries to do the normal cycle on and off it can't and because it's hot it locks up...thus the "I thought my fridge was fixed, but the next day everything had melted" problem. Here's the risk I took: When I knew the tech was coming after I had my fridge unplugged for two days, I plugged it in. It started up fine. I got the compressor warmed up in the process, so when he arrived I unplugged it and let him try to start it with his new relay. The compressor was warm and wouldn't budge - new compressor time and the problem was solved. But plugging it in risks a fire if it isn't able to start up, so be alert, present and forewarned.

Kitchenaid Stainless Steel Dishwasher said...

Hi Dude,

Nice blog! Maytag has one of the highest consumer complaints that involved broken door seals that have been replaced repeatedly. There are growing numbers of maytag refrigerator problems. The most common problem involves in trouble with the ice maker. Thanks a lot!

refrepair said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I am in the UK. The first Admiral side by side was replaced by Maytag after a technicians visit. Within a year a leak has developed at water entry point where the filter (expensive fits). Latest from Maytag is that either I subscribe to aone year insurance plan (about $360) or go for a call out for $275 plus cost of parts. What a way to make money!! Should I just dump it?

Joe D said...

Maytag products are the worst products we have ever purchased. Our 8 year old $3000 french door refrigerator just went for the 3rd time and now a gas leak. Our dishwasher crapped out after 4 years and the washer after 5. So much for the spokesperson!!!

Unknown said...

Awesome post Electronics Appliances Repair in Noida.Its a great deal educational for that fans. I like and the choice of summarize that post. Its really of great help for your people of this internet site. We are furthermore browsing concerning these types of type of sites these days. So your internet site really facilitates everyone regarding browsing the newest in addition to great goods. This site contain most my specifications. Many thanks regarding giving. Keep it up. We are waiting for your current much more blogposts such as this or maybe relevant to any educational matter.