Sunday, August 10, 2008

My Foot and the Office Move

My foot is gradually improving. I see the surgeon again tomorrow for some follow up work. X-rays, check up, etc... Part of my foot is still numb, and will remain this way for months. Most significant is I have little to no power in my big toe. There is a screw holding the bones of my big toe and next two toes together. These bones should move independently and thus I have little power in my foot. I walk funny on my right foot, and thus both it and my left (good) foot hurt frequently. Climbing ladders is out of the question and going down stairs is a little awkward.

When I see the surgeon he will schedule a short procedure to remove the screw. It will take five minutes and supposedly I will be walking immediately after. I'll be out of shoes for a few days while the new dressing is on my foot. Sounds ok, regular shoes are pretty snug right now anyway.

All this made my recent office move a little more challenging. I manage an IT department of two (myself included) for a company of 35. We recently purchased a larger and much nicer building. The other IT guy and I planned for about a year how to get our network infrastructure, phones and other IT resources moved smoothly with minimal downtime.

I couldn't lift anything heavier than a CPU because of my foot, but my coworkers all seemed to understand, pitch in and watch out for me.

Due to a change in the responsibilities of the moving company the other IT guy and myself wound up moving most of the monitiors, printers, and CPUs ourself. It wasn't overly heavy but the repetitious nature made my foot hurt. I was in pain and couldn't walk most nights just before the server move. For two or three days we moved CPUs, monitors and printers, for staff who were away at our annual conference. All in all it was 40 or so workstations, which wound up being 40 CPUs, 40 monitors, 30 printers, and many other odds and ends. Factor in trips out of the old building and trips into the new building that was many many trips back and forth.

Bruce, the other IT guy was quite tired, and worked very hard. Even in good health I would have been tired, but I was in a lot of pain due to my foot. Still it had to be done.

The big push was last Thursday. Our T1 (internet) and PRI (phones) were switched to the new location and the hardware was moved. Our goal was to have our web site and e-mail back up in 6 hours, with 5 key workstations running by the end of the day. We were back up and running in 3 hours and had probably 75-80% of the workstations up by the end of the day. It went better than we could have hoped.

We're still working on post move clean up and odds and ends but things have really slowed down and I'm feeling much more relaxed.

I am pleased with how the move went and I am very happy in the new building.

I've been tempted to take up NWN2 modding again, but remain torn about this. You can read more about this on my RPG Blog.

No comments: