Saturday, October 04, 2008

Timpano

For the first time in almost 7 years I'm making Timpano. I have made it 5 or 6 times.

What is Timpano? It's easier to show you It's a pastry shaped like a drum stuffed with pasta, tomato sauce, chicken, meatballs, sausage, vegetables, cheese and more...

There is a great blog entry with a longer explanation and some photos on Terry's Table.

My kids are old enough now that I can try it and this is a big thank you to my family for helping me recover from foot surgery. Lots of people went out of their way to help me recover and I wanted them to know I appreciate their efforts.

I first became aware of Timpano like many others through the movie, "Big Night" starring Tony Shaloub, Stanley Tucci, Minnie Driver and Isabella Rossellini. The movie is about a failing Italian restaurant run by two brothers who gamble on one big night to try to save the business. The big night features a feast of epic proportions and is amazing to watch.

Here is the feast scene. (Forgive the music during the intro, I didn't post this clip.):


Finally if you are curious about "Big Night, here is the original trailer.


Many thanks to an old dear friend, Jonathon Breen, that I've lost contact with for steering me towards this movie many years ago. Jonathon if you are out there drop me a line sometime.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for linking to my blog. I, too, first became aware of Timpano after watching "Big Night" several years ago. It's fun to make, isn't it?

Ernie Noa said...

Thanks Terri. The timpano night went off without a hitch. I just served it a few hours ago. Lots of fun was had by all.

Looks like you have loads of good recipes on your blog.