Sunday, April 27, 2008

Set backs and frustration

I have been improving slow but steady each and every day. I switched from a splint to a cast last Wednesday and returned to work on Thursday. I was active on Thursday and worked most of Friday. I knew there was the possibility of swelling due to the cast and activity but the pain was amazing Friday afternoon. Near my toes the cast was really squeeing. I spent Friday evening and most of Saturday with my foot up, icing my foot and increased the heavier pain killers again. It was not unexpected, but it still felt like a set back.

I am more active today (Sunday) but should keep my foot up as I have a full 40 hour work week ahead. The swelling is down but my two small toes are partially numb on top but feel fine on the bottom. They tingle and sting occasionally as if my foot were asleep. My right foot has felt this way for day but the stinging tingling toes is a real pain.

Coupled with my lack of mobility and thus my lack of self-sufficiency I am feeling rather frustrated today. I want to walk. I want to walk from my desk to the table and be able to carry a cup. That small task seems like it would greatly welcome at this point.

In two and half weeks I should have a walking/weight bearing cast. I'm not looking forward to 5 more weeks in a cast but am eager for more mobility.

God bless my wife who has done more for me than can be put down on paper. My family has also been quite supportive, providing help, pre-cooked meals, or whatever we need. My mother in particular has spent DAYS over here helping with the kids or just giving my wife a few much needed hours to mentally re-coup.

I've got a ways to go and although I am frustrated I have no choice but to endure the healing and recovery process.

No comments: