Friday, July 24, 2009

Vinny's East Coast Pizzeria


I had lunch at Vinny’s East Coast Pizzeria today and was very happy. It’s been 15 years since I’ve had a slice of New York style pizza and they got it pretty darn close. I read the owner has 15 years experience in the food service industry and spent most of it in Manhattan. I’ve been waiting eagerly for this place to open. There has been other ‘East Coast’ or ‘New York’ pizza places in Champaign, but they were terrible.

I worry that there menu may be a bit too diverse, sometimes this causes problems when a restaurant tries to do too much. East Coast style pizza is unlike anything you can get around here, it may not be for everyone but it made me very happy. I talked to the cooks after having my slice of cheese and slice of sausage. I told them I grew up in NY and it had been 15 years since I had a real slice of pizza. They all cheered and enthusiastically asked me to come back and tell others. I assured them I would.

I highly recommend giving it a try. Pizza is available by the slice for lunch and dinner.

You can read a bit more in this News Gazette article

No comments: