Friday, May 16, 2008

Attempting to walk

I have not been terribly successful with my first few steps. I am able to put weight on my right foot now, but it's limited. I have put my full weight on it unintentionally a few times and it's letting me know it's still attached with a zinging painful sensation. For now I am getting around with crutches but am using the foot too. I am slower with it but more stable.

I did go UP three stairs yesterday, which was an accomplishment. I have not gone up any stairs from a walking position in five weeks.

I am surprised at how weak my foot is. I know I can walk on it but the muscles have atrophied and more over the muscles that are there do not work as expected due to the changes in the structure of my foot.

I am trying to walk more and more on it. My wife and friend are quite concerned because I am double jointed. When I step my knee locks and extends backwards slightly. My knee naturally moves that way but they are both quite concerned it will damage my knee or impede my recovery. I have zero ankle flexibility due to the cast but can roll forward onto my toes. Due to the lip of the cast this is awkward and when I put weight on the toes they hurt, particularly the big toe which has a lot of work, and now includes two screws.

I was going to call and ask at my wifes suggestion but she wanted to do it so she could ask some specific questions. Hopefully this is not a problem.

I'm not sure what's right or what's normal. I'm learning all over again. After wanting to walk so badly for five weeks it is somewhat frustrating to be stuck with the crutches for a bit longer. I want to be able to walk and carry a cup of coffee at the same time. Right now that isn't possible at all.

No comments: